Tuesday, May 26, 2009

The Snobby Finnish Crows

So basically the English Crow is ”Crrrrow!” to the Swedish Kråka and the Swedish Kråka is “Krrrråka!” to the German Krähe and therefore the German Krähe must be “Krrrrähe” to the Finnish, uhmmm...”Varis”?

Hmmm, somehow this doesn’t make a lot of sense.

Maybe it’s just me. There are a few of these fellows outside, I think I’ll listen for a while, the merry mind sometimes makes it so when you think hard enough!

One by one.

“Crrrrow!” yes definitely sounds like that.
“Krrrråka!” yes yes, these would pass for Swedish Kråkas.
“Krrrrähe!” quite right, the German Mr. Grey Jacket would probably understand it’s English or Swedish cousins.

…but these are Finnish crows and no matter how hard I try to pull a muscle in my brain, it still doesn’t sound like “Varis!” at all, it sounds like “Krr…” followed by the variable national alphabets above.

“What is it with you, you Snobby Finnish Crows?”

“Kraak!”.

I get the feeling that they didn’t understand the question.